Pages

About Me

I lived in a village, not like the one in The Village, but the people were similar. Then I lived in Brooklyn. Now I live in Staten Island.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

On finding money/ memory

After watching A Simple Plan, I guess everyone was discussing what would happen if they were in that situation. For one, there is a small chance of that, and you can NEVER predict how you will react or what you think you will do. I would think that the mind shuts down when you're in that kind of situation. Nonetheless, the point of these kinds of things is to get us to think and reflect on our own morals. I was actually annoyed throughout the entire movie, I just wanted to flip out on everyone there, they were all so normal in the sense that they did exactly what someone in real life would do. Again, this was probably the point of the movie.
Mr. Bennett mentioned that finding money like that in that kind of circumstance is a burden, and it truly is. I feel like if I was in that situation, I can only hope that I would actually do what I think now is the best option. I would probably take some of the money. Only as much as I think I can get away with. No one will miss 50,000 when there is another 4 million in the bag. If there was someone with me, there is always the problem of them coming back to the scene to get more money. Which means a greater possibility of getting caught or them simply having more money than me. I don't know whether I would report the plane, but I would probably have to in order to prevent the other two people from ratting everyone else out. I would then wait a couple of months or years, and finally I would invest the money into something that would produce a profit or spend it on something I need. I really can't think of what I would do with so much money, because I, as everyone else, am in danger of getting greedy and asking for a couple more thousand. I hate the things money can do and does to a person.

Quick random thing on memory. Some "professionals" once said that if you train your brain to remember your childhood and try really really hard to recall certain things and even write them down in great detail you can remember as far back as infant days. The furthest back I can remember is 1992 when my great grandfather died and I remember a bit before that when he was alive. I still remember him very faintly, not his physical being, but his general presence. There are things that seem false though, that with time I'm not sure whether they really happened, although they are confirmed by my parents.

1 comment:

  1. I can't even imagine being placed in that situation. I have absolutely no idea what I would do, take the money, or take some leave the rest, or leave and pretend I never found it, or report it to the police... I wouldn't even be able to tell you hypothetically. I doubt I would be strong enough to live with the guilt and would most likely avoid the situation entirely and erase it from my mind. No amount of money is worth the pain and suffering that the characters of A Simple Plan endured.

    In regards to the paragraph at the end about memory, that's really quite interesting. I think the earliest memory I have is 3/4 years old waking up to run into my parents room because I had a nightmare, but even so, I think some of it is fabricated by my own imagination over the years.

    Maybe the parts of the memory that you say seem false are the fragments from what your parents have told you on various occasions and your brain just pieced together over time?

    ReplyDelete